Thursday, December 31, 2020

Games I Finished in 2020

2020 seemed such a promising year for games but now looking back, there was barely anything among new releases that truly got me excited. 2020 was colored by worrying news and delays. And Cyberpunk 2077 then crowned the year by getting released too early and on the now-last-generation consoles, on which the game clearly shouldn't be.

Ubisoft's Immortals Fenyx Rising was the most surprising and promising release I personally look forward to playing. It appears to be the most honest, fun game to come out this year, despite its terrible name. Ghostrunner also looks entertaining (though short). Otherwise the upcoming titles are about the same as in my previous yearly roundup post. Oh and Arkane Studios' DEATHLOOP now has a release date too. I expect it to be awesome; Arkane has yet to disappoint me.

If not for the Xbox Game Pass for PC, I would have played very few all new games for me this year. Thanks to the Pass I even managed to build up bit of a backlog now at the end of the year: I happened to buy few games just before subscribing and they of course then had to wait for 2021 when the subscription would run out.

Great

Darksiders Genesis [post]
Top-down twin-stick shooter/hack and slash game with co-op. A prequel spinoff that looks and feels authentic to the Darksiders series despite the different viewport.

Fine

A Plague Tale: Innocence [post]
Third person stealth adventure game in 14th century France. Achieves what it set to: a game reminiscent of The Last of Us and Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons.

DOOM Eternal [post]
First person demon shooter. More difficult than DOOM (2016) and as a result, being good at it probably makes it more enjoyable.

Greedfall [post]
Third person party-based ARPG. Spiders are punching above their weight in this one and are surprisingly successful at it too. A worthy challenger to BioWare's Dragon Age: Inquisition.

The Surge 2 [post]
Third person scifi melee ARPG. The second title in this Dark Souls style series. Improves from its predecessor though still has few kinks to straighten up.

Mediocre

Deliver Us The Moon [post]
First/third person scifi puzzle adventure. Shiny but simple.

Far Cry 4 [post]
First person shooter. Typical Ubisoft open world experience through and through.

Observation [post]
First person scifi puzzle adventure. The premier space station AI simulator. Has an interesting premise but plot is too weak to carry this cinematic experience.

The Darkness II [post]
FPS based on the comic books of the same name. Linear and simple.

Wolfenstein: Youngblood [post]
First person alternative history shooter. A spinoff with co-op. Reasonably entertaining. Feels good to play but is ultimately rather shallow.

Bad

Just Cause 4 [post]
Third person open world action shooter. Uninspired cash grab sequel nobody asked for. Doesn't add anything to the series and the Epic Games Store version was a crash-prone mess for me to boot.

NEON STRUCT [post]
First person stealth game. A zero-budget Deus Ex -like immersive sim attempt.

Risen [post]
Third person open world fantasy ARPG. Would be a lot more enjoyable if the combat wasn't so janky.

Spirits of Xanadu [post]
First person scifi shooter. Another zero-budget immersive sim attempt. This time akin to System Shock (2).


In 2020 I mostly replayed games. I started pushing my average completion rate up on Steam by 100-percenting every title that I had achievements in previously and which didn't have co-op or multiplayer achievements (which are sometimes not even possible to unlock anymore due to servers having been shut down.)

Currently I have 86% average completion in 99 titles. I still have 4 or 5 already-played games (Civilization V might require too much of getting-good for 100%) that I could possibly get to full completion. That will not be enough to get the average to 90% which is my current goal. But with more games that should happen even with the annoying partially-completed multiplayer-having titles in my library.

I wonder though where Steam gets the total number of games I have achievements in because I can only find 97 in my library. What are the last two? Is Steam maybe counting some titles that got achievements added after I had played them?


The rarest achievs are from Tides of Numenera (x4), Civ 5, and Torchlight II

No comments:

Post a Comment