Tuesday, February 25, 2014

2013 Movie Roundup

I'm a bit late with this post. I wasn't particularly enthusiastic about writing it because I saw no exceptionally good movies in 2013; not a single four-star one. There were quite a few entertaining ones, though.

I think Gravity ** (nominated for Best Picture) had the greatest chance of being the movie of the year for me. However, that chance was ruined by the ludicrous amount of errors that completely destroyed my suspension of disbelief. Its cinematography was impressive, though, as was its soundtrack during the do-or-die bits. Made me really hope Bullock makes it.

I think I liked (and three-starred) all the movies --  Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters, Oz: The Great And Powerful, Iron Man 3, Fast and Furious 6, Kick-Ass 2, and Riddick  -- I listed year ago as possibly good ones.

The second Kick-Ass didn't have as awesome soundtrack as the first one, although it was good in a different way; I liked how there were clear hero and villain themes. The movie was darker, and the funny parts didn't really balance it enough. And the puke-rod-thingy was just too much. Even for Kick-Ass. I blame the different director.

Riddick was maybe a slight disappointment for me. To be honest, I can't even remember what happened in the second one. But I do remember that I liked it very much and that it had a bigger budget than the third one. Riddick kind of returned to Pitch Black. It was good enough, though.

Looking at the upcoming movies list, I see 300: Rise of An Empire, Maleficent, Transformers 4: Age of Extinction, and Jupiter Ascending that might be worth checking out. Again, there might be more but I can't be arsed to click all the names to find what they're about.

No comments:

Post a Comment