Friday, December 30, 2011

The Best of YouTube 2011

In 2011, I watched more YouTube videos than ever before. Gaming content in particular spent a heavily increased amount of hours in my browser's flash player. Although, towards the end of the year, I found myself watching fewer videos fully or just didn't watch them actively, doing other things at the same time. Nevertheless, here are some clips (and their producers) I found enjoyable this year.

The Yogscast grew big since I started following them slightly over a year ago. Currently they are the 32nd most subscribed channel on YouTube with 1.37 million subs (a year back they had less than 50k). A considerable part of their success is probably thanks to Minecraft, whose community follows the Shadow of Israphel series with great intensity. Though the relationship is likely more symbiotic in nature, and many have bought the game only because they've watched Simon and Lewis play the game (including me).

They also keep trying various other games, but never really have a set concept, and their let's plays don't usually last too long. I think the co-op of Portal 2 is the only game they have finished (and uploaded videos of it). Here the guys (and Hannah) celebrate hitting one million subscribers:



TotalBiscuit, another British fellow, provides more regular gaming content on his channel. His popular (at least among WoW players) Azeroth Daily continued till late spring but he ended it after finally losing his interest in World of Warcraft. It required much work to bring a new episode every weekday, and I guess that was also one of the reasons to say farewell to the show. However, he keeps doing The Mailbox as an independent show, answering the general gaming questions people send to him.

TB's regularity takes a hit every now and again when he's sick (pretty often really) and when he's casting a StarCraft 2 tournament. Especially for few months after the summer he did barely nothing but SC2 content (and finally made own channel for it on YT). For a while I watched his castings, but as I don't play the game myself and there seems to be a tournament going every week of the year, even TB wasn't able to keep my interest eventually.

TotalBiscuit's most popular videos come usually from his WTF is? show, a first impression series, where he takes a look at some just released (or not quite yet) game, which is often developed by some indie company.

Jesse Cox, an American voice actor, produces gaming content as well, mostly in form of simple let's plays. What makes him better than all the thousands of other let's-players are his funny voices and the fact that, for a guy talking by himself while playing video games, he's pretty damn hilarious. And unlike the above two channel, he made something special as his 1000th video.

Also, once in a while all the three mentioned channels combine their forces in a collaboration. TB's and Jesse's Terraria series has been one of the longest ones yet. Here's a fan made video, bringing together the funniest moments:



As well as providing gaming videos, YouTube is also a good place to discover new music. Though looking at my list of favorite videos, it seems all of the music ones are related to gaming as well.

Charlie Parra del Riego, a guitar hero from Peru, has a channel containing his songs and covers of various other tunes, which are often of game themes. No matter the song, they are always rather good. I -- like many others -- discovered the guy through TB and as thanks, Charlie made a cover of the Pirates of the Caribbean song TB had been using in his Blue Plz podcast. Though Blue Plz ended with Azeroth Daily, the less-copyright-infringing song (or part of it anyway) can be heard at the end of the WTF is? videos. Speaking of Azeroth, I think one of Charlie's best covers is his version of Legends of Azeroth:



This guy thought he should make the opening theme of Game of Thrones more metal. And I think he succeeded in his attempt; sounds great, doesn't it:



One of the most hyped games of this year (as far as I can tell), the new Elder Scrolls game, Skyrim, and its main theme inspired many to make their own versions. Three of them found their way into my favorites. Here is one of them:



But the best YouTube video of 2011? In my opinion it is this one. It's by the already mentioned Yogscast and is actually a game trailer. One of the many they have been watching and commenting on their second channel. I base my opinion on the fact that I had to rewatch the video five times when I first saw it. And all the while I was laughing out loud. And I find it funny still, even though I've watched it multiple times more.



Hard to believe that's Unreal Engine 3 at work.

I hope the next year brings at least as many great YouTube videos as this one did.

No comments:

Post a Comment