Friday, July 23, 2010

Thief: Deadly Shadows


For quite some time, I have had trouble starting a new game, or rather getting anywhere in it. I get this weird feeling I can't continue, because I don't know enough of what will happen next, and thus can't prepare for it properly. And I'd rather play a game I'm familiar with. But somehow, I managed to finish Thief: Deadly Shadows.

I won't do a "proper" review - others have done it ages ago when the game was released (and likely much better I could ever do). Instead, I'll just tell little about my experience with the game.

At first I wasn't very good at sneaking, and I felt a need to do it perfectly - I wanted that no one would ever spot me, even though it's not required. So I had to reload constantly, and the game does have rather long loading times, which partly pushed me away from it. Luckily, I got better and my need for perfectionism subsided towards the end.

Thief: Deadly Shadows has a great atmosphere. Especially the mission where you sneak into a sea-side mansion; a shy piano music and sounds of waves crashing to the shore, and I think there was a (full) moon on the sky too. There's also some creepy missions with undead and the like. The fact that they are not as easily disabled as humanoids grows the creep factor.

The definite downside of the game is how opponents eventually return to their normal actions after losing/not finding you. A few dead or knocked-out bodies here and there won't bother them any longer, once they have seen them. This breaks the mood somewhat, although, you don't have to suffer from it if you do everything perfectly.

The second thing (or third, if you count the loading times), which bothers me personally, is how Garrett (you) doesn't have stats to increase. Yes, I'm a RPG fan (and I also got a lengthy post coming soon™, which concerns the facts I like in games). The only thing increasing througout the game is your skill and the amount of different tools for Garrett to get past subjects. I found the items to be too plentiful for my needs - flasks of oil, for instance, didn't see any use. I guess they add more depth, but usually, stealth and bit of patience is all you need.

About the plot: I found Garrett's need to see the Keeper Prophecies bit unclear and sudden. It's essential for push you onto the action, but it came as a surprise, and wasn't explained at all until in the cutscene Garrett reveals he wants to see them. I was maybe expecting a little smoothier transition. Rest of the story worked well, no complaints there.

All in all, Thief: Deadly Shadows is a good game with great atmosphere, and stylish ending. Sadly, just not my type of a game, and I don't plan to touch it again.

Also, I noticed Lily Allen was credited as one of the voice actors. The Lily Allen or just someone with the same name - I guess I will never know.

...or will. Google tells it is her. Cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment