Thursday, September 13, 2012

A Song of Ice and Fire: A Dance with Dragons

First of all, I have to say that I don't like reading hardcover books. They are large and cumbersome to hold, especially when they have thousand pages like A Dance with Dragons, the fifth book of A Song of Ice and Fire. Paperbacks wear and tear easier but they are so much comfortable. And cheaper, too.

My sister bought the novel just when it was published, and thus in hardcover as paperbacks tend to follow half a year later. And as I didn't want to buy it myself when I could just loan hers, I endured through the massive book. Though I can't say the thought of picking up the paperback didn't cross my mind when I saw it at the local gaming store couple weeks back.

The actual contents of the novel I'd describe with the word sprawling. If it didn't before, the narration now really splays all over the place with a huge number of 18 different viewpoint characters. And to some degree the same the effect that bothers The Wheel of Time series happens here; progress becomes a crawl when the story has to proceed on so many separate layers at the same time.

It doesn't help that Daenerys has become superbly indecisive and the situation at Meereen and Slaver's Bay grows into an uninteresting standstill mess. Where is the promised dance with dragons? Surely not in imprisoning them, dammit. Just take the freaking dragons and march into the Seven Kingdoms already. I don't care if they happen to eat few human babies on the way.

Tyrion journeys to Meereen as well but even his escapades offer very little enjoyment. The same theme seems to follow him from book to book; he's always a prisoner of someone and has very little power to affect the outcome of things. His assumed wit does little good to him.

At least there's still the possibility that anyone can die. It keeps some excitement going. Martin has been writing some lame R.A. Salvatore-like fake deaths of characters in the latest two books, though. Tyrion pretty much drowned but is just fine in a later chapter and Brienne evidently wasn't hanged after all. (Damn.) Or maybe she was brought back like Catelyn Stark. I wonder if Melisandre will/is able/wants to do that to Jon Snow. And again the wolves will be howling. Gah.

Arya's adventurers in Braavos are pretty cool, though I can't but wonder what will be her relevance to the grandscheme of things. The underlying game of thrones is interesting as well. Especially the characters who really control it. Too bad Littlefinger isn't visited this time but at least Varys makes a nice comeback at the end and reveals his support for House Targaryen.

I hope the next book, The Winds of Winter, (whenever it comes out, 2014 maybe?) is more focused than A Dance with Dragons. I can't say I liked this one all that much. Martin's habit of repeating himself started to bother me as well. Tyrion constantly waddles and wonders wherever whores go. Jon Snow knows nothing. And people are niggardly, craven, and wroth.

Also, I spotted two than/then mistakes, on pages 606 and 626:

When fires were lit to keep the cold at bay, they did more harm then good.
Their lead balls did vastly more damage then the smooth stones other slingers used, and more than any bow as well.

Whoever proofread the book should be spanked.

No comments:

Post a Comment