Friday, December 31, 2010

Top 3 Movies of 2010

It's the last day of the year once again, and all these lists of the best/worst things are popping up left and right. So here's mine - the top three movies I saw in year 2010. They're also the only three movies I gave four stars with my simple system; no five star movies this year.

3. The Expendables **** (IMDB 6.8 atm)

I expected The Expendables to be a three star movie but instead it surprised me with its very stylish action, smooth dialogue, and humour; I laughed out loud at the AA12 gun, the incredible sound it made, and its firepower. I also liked how a bunch of famous action stars were cast in the same movie.

2. Sherlock Holmes **** (IMDB 7.5 atm)

This one came in theaters in last year's December in the US and UK and some other places, but January 2010 here in Finland. After seeing the film, I said it was the best one I had seen this year, and it held the place, only sharing it with two other movies. (I arranged the list according to IMDB's ratings.)

Robert Downey Jr. nailed his role as Holmes and the rest of cast seemed to know their stuff too. The only negative thing I have to say about this movie was Jude Law as Watson, as he was slightly left in shadows and didn't come up to me as a very strong or even necessary character. Otherwise, the movie was fascinating and had an amazing atmosphere. Elegant action, too.

I hope Sherlock Holmes 2 won't be as big disappointment as Iron Man 2 was.

1. Kick-Ass **** (IMDB 8.1 atm)

When I saw the trailer, I didn't really know what to expect from this movie. Stelek at Yes the Truth Hurts recommended it, though, and so I went to see it. And came out of the theater happy as the movie was funny, almost absurd at times, thanks to the amazing characters and the extremely well used soundtrack. There was quite a few bit too recent songs, yeah, but they did fit perfectly.

I actually wish I hadn't seen this in a theater - there was some obese teenage girl, judging from her incredibly loud laughter, and a whole bunch others less noisy, who laughed even to the slightest gag. And that was annoying. Also, next to me sat some guy who seemed to be facepalming until at halfway through he cheered up and started laughing with rest of the audience. I wonder what was up with him.

--

But yeah, those are the best three movies of this year. To mention some of the worst and most disappointing ones: Resident Evil: Afterlife 3D * and Clash of the Titans 3D **.

I've got no idea what to expect from the next year. I'm reading the upcoming movie titles at this very moment and these are what I will prob'ly see: Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, Transformers: Dark of the Moon, and The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn. In addition to those, there seem to be tons of other sequels and loads of comic character superhero films.

If their titles mean what I think they do, Source Code and Anonymous might also be worth seeing if only out of interest in programming and the internet culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment