Thursday, December 16, 2010

The Pyramid Claims Another Victim

...me. Or rather, my elf ranger. He made it all the way from level one to ten, until the going got too tough.

Our party got separated in a hard fight that involved darkness, some backstabbing bastards, shade of Karavakos and blindness. Me and our cleric were on our own, and when he went down (but didn't die in the end), I soon followed. I could've teleported into safety with the Head of Vyrellis but, alas, I was blind and thus no teleportation. Blindness also heavily reduced my damage output; -5 to attacks kinda makes hitting difficult. And then the shady guy's AoE dropped me below minus bloodied and my first 4E character was no more.

So, time to make a new character!

After pondering a while, I made up my mind and I decided to create a tiefling warlock - a pretty iconic combination. Ironically enough, though, tiefling's stat bonuses don't suit an Infernal Pact warlock the best (no +2 to Con) and the racials don't have nearly as great synergy with warlock class as elves do with ranger but I decided to make one anyway; there's always room for style.

The items in Adventurer's Vault 2 offer a nice combo for a warlock. Too bad our party weren't one level higher, I could've gotten a Shadowrift Blade (see below) right away.

Let's take a look at the combo:

Shadow Walk (warlock class feature)
On your turn, if you move at least 3 squares away from where you started your turn, you gain concealment until the end of your next turn.

Shadow Warlock Armor (in AV2, lvl 10+)
While you have concealment from your Shadow Walk class feature, any creature affected by your Warlock's Curse grants combat advantage to you.

Shadowrift Blade (in AV2, lvl 12+)
Power (At-Will ✦ Teleportation): Free Action. Trigger: You hit an enemy that is granting you combat advantage.
Effect: You take 5 damage and teleport 2 squares.
Level 17 or 22: Take 10 damage and teleport 3 squares
Level 27: Take 15 damage and teleport 4 squares.

Hellish Rebuke (Infernal Warlock At-Will)
Standard Action Ranged 10
Target: One creature
Attack: Constitution vs. Reflex
Hit: 1d6 + Constitution modifier fire damage. If you take damage before the end of your next turn, the target takes an extra 1d6 + Constitution modifier fire damage.
Increase damage and extra damage to 2d6 + Constitution modifier at 21st level.

So, how does this work?

You Curse a creature. (Minor action)
You move 3+ squares. (Move action) (Or move first and then curse.)
-> Get concealment from Shadow Walk until the end of your next turn.
-> Get combat advantage against the Cursed target from Shadow Warlock Armor.
You cast Hellish Rebuke on the Cursed target (and hit). (Standard action)
-> Take 5 damage and teleport 2 squares. (Shadowrift Blade)
-> Cursed target takes damage from Hellish Rebuke again.
Repeat as necessary.

Now I need to make sure I've got 13k gold when we hit level 12 (or earlier) so I can unleash this hellish combination as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment