Thursday, October 28, 2010

The Wheel of Time: The Eye of the World

I finished reading the first volume of The Wheel of Time series, The Eye of the World, and I'd say the almost 800 pages of tight-packed text hold a great story inside.

The book kept me interested all its length by constantly revealing new exciting things, which were actually already introduced earlier but only as the stuff of legends in songs and stories the Two Rivers folk had heard. And which they didn't necessarily believe to even exist.

Another intriguing element is how the three ta'veren - Rand, Perrin, and Mat - grow during the story, and gain some neat qualities.

Yes, EotW is a coming of age story, and I'm usually not very fond of them. This one, however, is entertaining and not as annoying as I often find them. Actually, I didn't like EotW this much when I read it for the first time, ~10 years ago. The Finnish translation and/or my age might have had something to do with that, though.

Now I'm going to jump right into the second book, The Great Hunt. I expect Rand to become a better swordsman, Perrin to continue on his wolf path, and Mat to gain his amazingly good luck with dice and stuff. Although, that might've happened few books later - I can't remember anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment