Friday, January 4, 2013

The Best of YouTube 2012

Last year, I grew even more picky of what I watch on YouTube. Most of the videos in my subscriptions go unwatched these days.

And most of the unwatched videos seem to be from The Yogscast. I guess I completely lost my interest in their videos (which are mostly about Minecraft). There was this one (or two) exception where Simon met Warwick Davis. The "interview" as a whole is fairly entertaining but I totally lost it at 6:40 of the second part where they talk about Simon's impressions of Warwick.



The Yogscast jumped from the 32nd place (with 1.37 million subs) to 14th most subscribed channel on YouTube during the year and currently have 3.1 million subs. They just keep growing and actually are their own organization under The Game Station now, having eight affiliated channels under them. I just wish they made more non-Minecraft videos as the guys are still funny.

In my opinion, though, the most interesting person in The Game Station is still TotalBiscuit. He ended his Mailbox due to the questions starting to repeat themselves too much. The show was replaced with The Content Patch, which is more about gaming news. And of course he still keeps doing his Wtf is...? first impressions series.

TB also started a new weekly podcast, much to my delight. The idea of the The TGS Podcast is for four persons from The Game Station to attempt to talk about games. TotalBiscuit was s'posed to be the only permanent host of the show but Jesse Cox and Dodger refused to leave, and thus only the fourth person tends to be different one every week.

Occasionally, the podcast gets outright hilarious for various reasons. Here's one example. (Volume in the video is really low.)


Let's plays I watched very little in 2012. One exception -- which I actually watched from the start to finish -- was Jesse Cox's playthrough of Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy). A batshit crazy game whose gameplay consists entirely of quick-time events. I wouldn't play a game like that myself but it sure was entertaining to watch.

Of course there were a few videos of music too.

I discovered another guitar hero, 331Erock, whose many videos I found myself liking. His rendition of Doctor Who is quite nice, I think.



Mass Effect 3 inspired a handful people to make music. This first one is a metal cover of Clint Mansell's Leaving Earth.



The second one is from the epic rap guy, Dan Bull.



And finally, some fan took the scene where the fleets arrive to Sol system and removed the game engine bits from it. The most epic moment in a game I have witnessed yet. The Fleets Arrive track is actually a remake of Spectre Induction from the first game. Also, minus points for the uploader for putting an apostrophe in "Fleets" where it obviously doesn't belong.



My choice for the best YouTube video this year is bit random, I guess. My sister even pointed out that I dislike cosplaying. I guess I might have said so at some point. I think it's because I find it horrible when a costume and the person look nothing like the character.

There are pretty amazing costumes in this video, though. It is very well edited as well. And then there are of course the Mass Effect cosplayers that really made it for me. My favorite is Dr. Chakwas at 1:52.

No comments:

Post a Comment