Thursday, July 22, 2010

And Another Thing...

About a month ago, my sister handed me this book to read; Douglas Adams's Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Part Six of Three: And Another Thing... It is a post-mortem impersonation, and is written by Eion Colfer, the author of the Artemis Fowl series.

As the name states, the book is a continuation of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series. Of which I have read at least So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish and most likely the first part too (both as Finnish translations), however, it's been very long since that happened. At least I've seen the movie (which was a kind of a letdown, though). I might have read one or more of the rest of the series, but I can't really remember.

I recall much better Adams's Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency (read it in Finnish too), which I found quite entertaining, and actually much funnier than the H2G2 books. Of Colfer's Artemis Fowl series I have read the first three parts - quite enjoyable. So, I can say I know something about both authors' styles, and can judge whether Colfer manages to impersonate Adams or not.

And I'd say yes, he succeeds in the task. And therein lies the weakness of the book - it's not really funny. I chuckled once and that's it. All the quotes, from the various reviews, the book is covered with, give impression you'll be reading something really entertaining. But just like with Adams's Hitchhikers, I found myself not caring what happens to the characters, and all the clever and supposedly funny stuff not very so. Yet, the book is readable, not boring, and probably very likable for Adams fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment