Monday, March 1, 2010

Archer Progress Update


So, Daeron the archer ranger managed to beat Sarevok in Baldur's Gate. It was my first time without wand of monster summoning spam, I might add. Although, I haven't tried anything else since the first playthrough ever - it's just too easy to fill the room with monsters and shoot Sarevok down.

Into Shadows of Amn I continued, naturally losing all gear at the beginning. And like that wasn't enough, all special arrows have been nerfed since BG1 - acid arrows are +1 to hit, +1 to damage, +1d3 acid damage instead of +1 to hit, +2d6 acid damage, for instance. And many monsters require +1 or better arrows. Daeron doesn't feel very powerful at the moment.

Can't say his companions form the most powerful party either. I had to reload quite a few times when trying to defeat the shadow dragon, Thaxll'ssillyia. Daeron was only with Minsc, Yoshimo and Aerie at the time. Yoshimo set his traps, others tried to hit couple times but then the dragon got his protections up and it was Aerie's job to finish him (with her few spells, which didn't include Breach). Finally succeeded with a cloudkill wand. Yoshimo got toasted, though.

Currently I have replaced Minsc with Keldorn (who seriously needs Carsomyr), and Cernd was added as fifth member. Planning to pick Solaufein from Ust Natha to complete the party. I have werewolf fix installed but Cernd's werewolf form isn't too good at this point. -2 AC just doesn't cut it and being immune to normal weapons is only so helpful. The greater form, which he gets in two levels, is much better though. I'm sure the party will find its strength in time, this just feels the weakest start in a while.

Also, I had a fun encounter in de'Arnise Keep. I was looting the golem room with Cernd (werewolf form seems faster) and was going to run back to others so I can poke the large golem through the door with a long reach weapon. However, the iron golem got hasted by the clay golem and Cernd's getaway didn't really succeed. One normal hit from the iron golem and a crit from the clay golem and Cernd was blown to pieces. Reload time.

No comments:

Post a Comment